Click any box for a full sized image...
Even larger JPEG images are available for many, see below...
1. Temple of San Cristobal overlooking the city, at dusk.
2. Temple of San Cristobal seen from the government building.
3. Overview of San Cristobal from the Temple of San Cristobal.
4. Looking down the steps of the Temple of Guadelupe; Temple of San Cristobal on far side of town.
5. The Arch of Carmen in San Cristobal
6. The Temple of Santo Domingo, chichurigueresque facade.
7. The Temple of Santo Domingo, built in 1560; convent to the left
8. Daily market scene. Larger
9. Daily market scene; men from Zinacantan selling mineral lime.
10. Daily market scene; man from Chamula selling potatoes. Larger
11. Daily market scene; man selling river snails, pineapple in background. Larger.
12. Daily market scene; women selling vegetables. Larger.
13. Daily market scene; man from Zinacantan selling pitch pine. Larger.
14. Women going to market. Larger.
15. Mausoleums in the city cemetery. Larger.
16. Colonial-period bridge outside of town. Larger.
17. Women washing at Ojo de Agua, on the edge of town. Closeup.
18. Cornfield and stone fence near Saclamonton. Larger.
19. Woman spinning wool by hand, Milpoleta. Closeup.
20. Old thathed hut in Milpoleta.
21. Entering San Juan Chamula; old church on left, new church is seen through the trees.
22. Villagers celabrating in San Juan Chamula. Larger.
23. Thatched huts at the crossroads to Zinacantan. Larger
24. Church and central plaza at Zinacantan. Larger
25. Saint day celebration in Tenejapa. Larger
26. Young Tenejapa women in Tenejapa. Larger.
27. Tenejapa woman in the back of a truck to San Cristobal. Larger. Closeup.
28. Men from Yochib celebrating a day off in Tenejapa. Closeup.
29. The "plaza" in Yochib on Saturday.
30. Drinking chicha (cane wine) in gourd cups, Yochib. Larger.