Copper Canyon Photo Gallery
Barranca del Cobre, Chihuahua, Mexico
All photos © by Randy R. Johnson
You are visiting Randy
Johnson's Travel Page!
Click any box for a full sized image, 40 to 70k each...
These images were re-scanned in 2006 for better quality.
1. First sight of Copper Canyon from the railway at El
2. Creel, Chihuahua state, elevation: 2338 m., 7660
3. Gumisachic, Tarahumara settlement on the high plateau near
4. Tarahumara girl tends goats at her camp along the canyon
road; Close-Up Image
5. Río Batopilas near the bottom of the canyon near La
6. Camping beside the Río Batopilas at La
7. Cactus in the canyon contrast with pines on the
8. The Tarahumara's goats roam the canyon's steep
9. Sunshine seldom reaches the bottom of the narrow
10. Outside of La Bufa, a side stream enters the Batopilas.
11. Near the side stream, a long abandoned stone
12. And still-working gold mining rigs in the old Spanish
13. A new resident has renewed the search for sparce gold dust in the streams
14. A crude smelter separates mercury from the gold it
15. An ancient suspension bridge spans the Batopilas below La
16. Across the river, natives carry supplies up the cliff
17. A Tarahumara goat herd stops for a quiet
18. Overhanging rocks make a winter home for this Tarahumara
19. A crude hand loom is used to weave black goat's
20. Goat hide, kapok, and a Tarahumara family look up out of the
Don't miss the article: "Canyon
of the Tarahumara"
Back to Randy's Travel
All text and photos Copyright © 1968-2013, Randy R.
Johnson, all rights reserved.